How SAP S/4HANA is transforming Maintenance, Safety, and Permit to Work?
SAP S/4HANA is one of the most deployed post-modern ERPs. Whilst the ERP of the 20th century concentrated on the digitization of business processes, the post-modern ERP focuses on the digital transformation of the business process. In this blog, I will talk about how SAP S/4HANA transforms Maintenance, Safety, and Permit to Work.
What functionality does SAP S/4HANA provide for Maintenance, Safety, and Permit to Work?
- Control maintenance work through clear safety instructions and permits
- Link environment, health, and safety (EH&S) information to technical equipment and plant maintenance tasks, enabling :
- Plant managers to automatically generate work order safety plans and concrete safety measures
- Maintenance workers to receive easy-to-read instructions on their job cards, so they can protect themselves from a variety of hazards on the shop floor
- Support flexible levels of permits natively integrated with the work order process in enterprise asset management
- Automate the permit process, enforcing fully auditable procedures that promote consistent behavior
- Integrate flexible levels of permits into the work order process to help ensure efficient execution of maintenance work
What are the benefits of using S/4HANA to manage Maintenance, Safety, and Permit to Work?
- Reduce EH&S penalties and fines by enabling streamlined work order planning and execution, including effective safety measures
- Reduce fixed asset service and maintenance costs by enabling streamlined work order planning and execution, including effective safety measures
- Reduce unplanned downtime or outages by controlling maintenance work through permits and lock-out/tag-out procedures
What are the functional changes in the Maintenance, Safety, and Permit to Work functionality in SAP S/4HANA compared to SAP ECC?
- Accelerated performance of daily work permit processing, as well of related safety certificates, such as isolation certificates for lock-out/tag-out procedures
- Full user status enablement for work permits and safety certificates
- New functions for requesting and printing isolation certificates
What are the innovations which S/4HANA has brought in for Maintenance, Safety, and Permit to Work functionality?
- SAP Fiori–based user experience across all process steps
- Improved handling (fewer clicks) for user processing of safety certificates
- Dedicated mobile work clearance management (WCM) app for lock-out/tag-out procedures
Recently, Kaar Tech helped a high tech manufacturer to migrate from SAP ECC to SAP S/4HANA. If you would like to understand why they moved from SAP ECC to SAP S/4HANA, then I suggest reading this whitepaper. It explains the business benefits and technical benefits accrued as a result of the SAP S/4HANA migration.