Each enterprise is unique. Each of them will have different starting and ending points on their path towards digital transformation. Their choice of adopting SAP S/4HANA will vary as well. In this blog, we’ll take a look at the SAP Landscape Transformation for SAP S/4HANA.
What is an SAP Landscape Transformation for SAP S/4HANA?
An SAP Landscape transformation is a technical migration on a table level using pre-configured transformation solutions. It is a value-driven, selective data migration to the new SAP S/4HANA platform. The focus is not on a whole system migration, but on picking & choosing entities which you want to carve out and move on to the SAP S/4HANA platform. Therefore there are several sub-scenarios available:
- Consolidation of current SAP Business Suite landscape (multiple systems, or selective clients of multiple systems) into one global SAP S/4HANA system, or
- Selective data migration based on legal entities, such as clients or company codes
- Implementation of SAP Central Finance Scenario
For whom is an SAP Landscape Transformation for SAP S/4HANA the ideal choice?
An SAP Landscape Transformation for SAP S/4HANA is ideal for organizations who:
- have many instances of SAP and non-SAP ERP systems
- want consolidation into one global SAP S/4HANA system
- require selective data migrations
- want to consolidate their landscape or carve out selective entities or processes into an existing SAP S/4HANA system or a specific migration project re-using standard migration content
In principle, an SAP Landscape Transformation is not an either-or-option in comparison to the SAP S/4HANA system conversion and SAP S/4HANA new Implementation scenarios. As it is a data migration option, it requires a target system available into which the data can be migrated.
The target system can be realized with a fresh system install (SAP S/4HANA new implementation scenario with/without an initial data load). Or, as in the case of a system consolidation effort, the target system can be realized with an SAP S/4HANA system conversion of a suitable SAP ERP system. Having the target system in place, a Landscape Transformation migrates (additional) data into the SAP S/4HANA systems independent from their origin or purpose. The various available Landscape transformation Scenarios can migrate data:
- into newly implemented SAP S/4HANA target systems
- into systems created via system conversion procedure
- before or after they are handed over to operations
- which complement other SAP S/4HANA transition options
What are the Benefits of an SAP Landscape Transformation for SAP S/4HANA?
- Selective data transformation allows a phased approach. This helps to focus the first SAP S/4HANA migration phase on parts of the business with highest ROI and lowest TCI.
- Move gradually to SAP S/4HANA innovations while running current business processes
- System and landscape consolidation with harmonized/ simplified processes and unified master data lead to lower cost of operations
- Achieve harmonized business processes and shared master data through consolidation
- Carve out entities of the company to SAP S/4HANA and leverage process simplification
SAP LT Design support & LT execution support activities and tasks as described in the SAP activate roadmap.
Each enterprise is unique. Each of them will have different starting and ending points on their path towards digital transformation. From implementing a net-new solution to digitizing an existing landscape in the cloud, on-premise, or a combination of both, our experience spans enterprises of all sizes, all industries, and all technology processes for any deployment type. We will keep your business running while making a smooth transition to new solutions.
The SAP landscape transformation scenario currently requires a service or consulting engagement with SAP. There is no toolset with documentation available to configure, test and execute your own, individual data migration to SAP S/4HANA. The currently available tools and technology are only available via SAP Value Assurance Services or Consulting service Engagements. A data migration platform product will be released eventually, which will cover selected data transformation scenarios to be executed by customers and partners without SAP Service engagement.