The Cloud Journey
Migrating to the cloud cannot happen overnight. It should be a planned journey. You first need to analyse where you are, where you want to be, and how you can get there. Thus, building a roadmap might prove to be the most fundamental yet crucial step. This blog post gives a fair idea of the various steps involved in the Cloud Journey for SME. Following are the important phases while moving to the cloud.
- File and Content Collaboration
- Moving applications to the cloud
- Cloud Desktops
Step1: Files and Content Collaboration
Business runs on information. And, any type of information is stored in files. But, the way files are stored today is probably outdated and inefficient. Cloud provides a platform for file sharing which touches every department and process in an organization. Cloud eliminates the factor called ‘distance’ and ‘time-zones’ and makes Team Work simultaneous and immediate.
Benefits of file sharing
- Improved Organization: Cloud collaboration provides a central storage for documents. Everyone can work on the same document at the same time, irrespective of the device they are working on. This saves precious time, and ease of access is also high.
- Scalability: In traditional systems, if you need to increase the capacity of your system, you will have to bare a lot of expense. A huge investment is required for hardware purchase, configuration, licensing and hiring consultants. But in cloud-based systems, the amount of money and resources spent is a lot less.
- Prevent Data Loss: With cloud platforms, the probability of document and information loss is almost negligible. It is also very easy to comply with the Industry regulations, data privacy and residency laws.
But content collaboration is only the start. It is important to take control of file sharing early on, as it is more secure, richer and better integrated with the way you work.
Step2: Moving Applications to the Cloud
After moving files to the cloud, the next natural step is to move applications to the cloud. Applications are where users meet your business process, and they deliver great functionality. However, before moving applications to the cloud, you should have a thorough understanding of the functions and scales of your application. Moving to the right cloud platform can help you address several challenges, thereby allowing you to focus on the core business.
Benefits of Application Migration:
- Reduced Cost: Due to the efficiency of public cloud offerings, running applications on the cloud costs a lot lesser than traditional legacy platforms. Resource utilization is also better.
- Increased Speed: Faster infrastructure deployment and rapid application releases are possible in cloud environments. You can deploy these applications within minutes.
- Improved application performance: Local servers may be underpowered and not optimized to support a lot of users. Hosting your apps in the cloud can significantly improve performance and availability.
Step3: Moving Desktops to the Cloud
This is the last step of your cloud journey. Once the files and applications are moved to the cloud, you can move desktops to the cloud. ‘Virtual Desktops’ and ‘Hosted Desktops’ are some of the other names of Cloud Desktops. Cloud desktops virtualize everything that is present on a physical device – from operating systems to files and applications.
Benefits of Cloud desktops
- Availability: A cloud desktop grants access through conventional PC’s, Macs, smartphones and tablets. Therefore, you can access your desktops anywhere, anytime.
- Secure Access: A cloud desktop guarantees a secure log-on. Moreover, these desktops run on dedicated servers. This kind of protection coupled with centralized management helps companies adhere to compliance regulations and ensure data security.
- Work even when you’re offline: Cloud desktop allows you to run the desktop offline and work even when there’s no internet connection.
Once you get your final step done, that is moving the users’ desktops to the cloud, you’ve pretty much become a cloud company. There is no need to buy, manage and maintain any on-premise infrastructure. You’ve arrived!
To find out more about accelerating your journey towards the cloud, Download this whitepaper.